Life Comes at you and from there it is all about the choices we make, how we deal with those choices and how we act and react to the people and things around us. My goal: Happiness. I surround myself with happy people when I can. And if by chance I bring some happiness to others along the way it just goes to show; It Is What It Is

Friday, March 18, 2011

Head versus Heart

Last week, due to unfortunate circumstances, I needed to purchase a new car.  Not that I had not been thinking about a new car recently, but it was not really the right time and I was hoping my old gal would get me through til Sky graduates from college.  But that was not to be.

Because I work 75 miles from home in an area that does not understand North South travel with public transortation, AND, my job rarely includes my staying put in the office for more than a few days at a time - much to the dislike of my office manager who tells me that even tho she gets more work done when I am not there she does like my company, I had no time to lollygag on this decision and needed to get a new car and get on with life.

I had been hearing about this place about an hour plus from home that had great quality used cars, the salespeople do not make commission based on what you buy, and you have a three day return policy - no questions asked.  I had also heard some people talking about the place and they only had great things to say about their experience there.  So I called - at 8:30 on a Wednesday night.  They answered the phone!

"If I was to come in and test drive some cars tomorrow, would I be able to drive home in one - all paperwork completed and be done?"   Absolutey, was the answer.  Sweet, I wanted to be there when they opened, drive some cars I had already picked out online, and be done with it.  Remember, I don't really want to buy a car at this point.  I have two more payments on Sky's car and then I am car payment free for a while.  Not to be!

So we go, and I drive a 2006 Saturn Ion,  I drive a 2007 Saturn Ion.  As I am heading out the gate with the 2006 I spot a really sharp black car, and next to it a freaking hot black car and heave a little sigh.  These cars ooze sex and just gave me a visceral reaction of "I would love to be owned by them!"

My salesperson got out of the car right then as I am drooling and says "They are both within the price range you told me".  Can you imagine this picture - I put the litte ion I was driving in reverse and backed it like three footbal fields through a maze of cars and right back into its little spot and told him to get the keys!

I looked at Renee and said if I had to buy something I might as well get something I LOVE! Right?  So we drove a 2004 Black on Gray Nissan Sentra with 66000 miles that was loaded - power everything, nooks and crannies, moon roof, cruise and a fin on the back.  Clean, flush mounted sharp tires and drove like a dream!  The back seat was even comfortable!

Then, we drove the Infiniti.  2 door little sports coupe.  Lower to the ground than my Saturn that I love.  Black with black rims, sports tires, black leather interior, LOADED.  I mean seriously, like a sex dream.  Back seat not so good.  Until you sank into the leather cushions, your head (even mine) hit the rear window.  Once you sank in, a bit dfficult to pull yourself out of, but who really wanted to.  This was a 2005 with 68000 miles.

Ok, drool aside, the Nissan made way more sense.  It got 22 miles to the gallon to the 18 - 19 for the infiniti, more comfortable, especially the back seat, and it was priced about $2500 less.  Lets go look at the car facts.  Renee says, wait a minute and lets look at the engine.  It had a new alternator, radiator, and hoses.  The rest of the engine compartment had a layer of rust on everything.  It wasn't bad, but in the next few years I would propbably have to start doing some repairs - obviously they had already replaced some parts that were rusted through.

Ever get cold water thrown on you.  I still wanted it, but the overall longterm headache now started to eat away.  I redrove the Saturns, looked under the hoods, and drove away in the 2007 Silver Saturn Ion 4 door with 32500 miles.  No bells and whistles, no extras.  I have to manually roll down the windows and open the gas tank.  The speedometer ond odometer are off set to the right and the radio is a simple am/fm/cd.  It is a simple car and gets about 30 - 35 mpg, depending on my usage.  It is dependable, has had no accidents and is incredibly comfortable to drive.  I am actually amazed at its comfort.  I will need to get a cruise control installed, maybe when I get back from florida next, but all in all I got myself a reliable, sturdy car with a good reputation, and as my son said, "Thanks for buying American Mom"!

So why can't I come around to being totally happy about this? Why am I so dissapointed still that the Nissan had so much rust that I couldn't write it up and take it home?  My passion was not met, although my physical needs were.

How much of life do I go through meeting my daily needs, doing the things that need to be done and being the places I need to be without meeting the passions of my heart?  How many others lead life the same way, letting their head over rule their heart for what they know in the long run is the right thing?  What would life be like if it were the other way?  Heart over ruling the head.  I think Mayhem.

No comments:

Post a Comment