Life Comes at you and from there it is all about the choices we make, how we deal with those choices and how we act and react to the people and things around us. My goal: Happiness. I surround myself with happy people when I can. And if by chance I bring some happiness to others along the way it just goes to show; It Is What It Is

Friday, December 30, 2011

What's a "Good Person"?

I watched my friends children for her so she could go out on a date with a gentleman she met, who knows, maybe he will someday be her husband.  I let a friend of a friend borrow my car so he could get to work, otherwise he would have had to call in and maybe lost his job.  I worked at a camp for differently-abled children and gave a young boy a hug and hope that things would be okay.  Do any of these make me a good person?

I have been struggling this year with the whole "Good Person" thing.  What makes someone a good person?  What doesn't?  I even posted a status on Facebook asking that question and no one answered.  Does that mean that no one else knows the answer either?

Yesterday, while talking to someone very important to me, the topic came around to funerals, friends and attendance.  He had just attended a funeral for someone who he knew, but not well, and the church was packed.  He commented to me that he wondered if when he died there would be anyone at his funeral.  Strange, I have often thought the same thing.  My thoughts started in that vein after my mom passed away and the temple, funeral home, and cemetary were all filled beyond capacity.  Who would come to my funeral?  Does a full chapel mean I was a good person?  and why the hell do I need to wait til I am dead to figure that out?

I have a friend who's mother is dying.  I truely like her mother and have had multiple conversations and have asked her advice on a bunch of different topics.  I am not a close family friend to the mom, but I am to the daughter.  I have been trying to bring them meals and make things as easy as possible as they go through this awful ordeal.  Am I doing this to be thought of as a good person?  Isn't this what any decent person would do?  Who wouldn't do what they could?

Why the quest for me this year?  I really have no freaking clue.  If anyone can tell me I would be excited to know.

I can tell you one thing however - earlier this year I decided the theme for 2012 for me was going to be pay it forward.  I don't have a lot.  I can't afford to walk into K mart and pay off $10,000 in lay-aways for the holidays, sometimes I can't even afford to give Salvation Army a buck.  But I can make a meal and give a friend a hug, I can listen when you are down, laugh with you when times are good and lend a hand when you need one.  If that is what it is, then I guess I am ready to accept it with humility and grace - I am a good person!

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like you're off to a good start. And Wendy... I always have thought, and always will think, that you are a good person.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm with Gordon. If there were a religion called Be Nice Whenever Possible then I might consider joining one. If you are helping people in small ways because it makes you feel good in your heart to know you're having a positive influence out there, I think you're a good person. And you could go to church with me...LOL...

    ReplyDelete